Monday, January 2, 2012

the new year - a new way


It's that time of year. 
I've made many-a resolutions in my lifetime. 
 As far as keeping them- haIn fact, when I turned 27 in September, I made a 27 before 27 list. I was inspired by Allison's list. I think it's a great idea, but has not proven to be an effective way for me to organize and accomplish my goals. I don't think I've done a single thing on my list in 3 months.  


 The other day as I was thinking about where I want to end up at the end of 2012, I realized that I would have to approach the year and my 27 list in a whole different way.

That's where 12 in '12 comes in. I'm mapping out my year in 12 individual goals. They (whoever 'they' are) say that it takes 21 days to form a habit. So, my theory is that each month I can focus on one goal and it will become a healthy habit or fun experience that I can carry with me. 


I took great care to put together my list. I wish everything could happen in January. I'm almost sad that I'm not this person yet. But a year flies by pretty fast. If in a year from now I've had success with my 12 resolutions, I'll have plenty of reason to feel happy. 
That's also why I tried to keep them within reason. 
I'm not trying to set myself up for failure here!

JANUARY 
drink more water. 
Up until now, I drank more diet coke than water...by far. With the new water bottle I got for Christmas and an occasional packet of Crystal Light, I think I've got this one. 
If you're wondering, I've haven't had a soda in over 48 hours.
I'm still alive. 

FEBRUARY
No fast food. No exceptions.  
Exception to the 'no exceptions' clause: Subway is okay in unavoidable situations. 
I have to be realistic.


MARCH
Focus on Blog
Learn how to make the vision in my head match the actual layout and atmosphere here. Make a schedule. Post tutorials. Maybe do a giveaway. Look into Etsy further too. 
Basically learn how to do all the things that I wish I new right now. 

APRIL
Implement an exercise routine
4x per week minimum.
schedule a plan at the beginning of each week. 
In theory, I won't be drinking soda or eating any fast food at this point either. 


 MAY
Focus on a Budget 

reevaluate income. make changes if necessary. map out income and expenses. make a plan for financial peace. 

JUNE
Go on one adventure a week
experience something new.
roadtrip to see a friend. explore tourist spots in Milwaukee or Chicago. plan a day touring antique malls and flea markets. take a tour of something.
Do it on the cheap.


July
Learn my camera
take a class. read blogs. practice. practice. practice.


August
Listen to Valleybrook's Sunday message
I've wanted to make this a habit since I left 3 years ago!
I'm totally missing out. 


September
Volunteer once a week
at the same place or 4 different places. 


October
Participate in a craft fair
probably at the end of the month. spend the beginning getting super organized for it. 


November
Finish all Christmas related projects
home decore, gifts, blog tutorials and posts. 
The goal is to fully enjoy the month of December.


December
focus on my favorite
I certainly won't have mastered the previous 11 goals. 
This month I can enjoy my holiday bliss (because November went so well) I could do other craft fair or volunteer more for the holidays or maybe I'll be working so hard towards my budget goals that I can devote more time to my income. 
Whatever makes me happiest this month. 

2 comments:

  1. I love this! Great job on those chairs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Bli. And thanks for being the first person to officially comment on my blog!! I appreciate the feed back.

    ReplyDelete